Skiing and environment

• elecas
    Advanced
    elecas op 12 december 2019 · 12:28
    Hi members of wepowder,

I open this topic, after seen comments in several post about the impact that we produce traveling to ski, with the intention of having a respecfull (even nowadays that´s not the style in society) and if possible, productuve discussion.

To start I will give my opinion about (not better or worse than anyone else opinion),

It is clear and irrefutable that we are messing the enviroment and a collective as skiers and specially freeriders we should be specially aware of the problem and try to fix it, because this is affecting our main hobby, skiing. If we keep like this powder days will keep decreasing and more stormy and dangerous days will come. As described in many studies the worse medium of transport for the enviromment is the plane and we should try to avoid to use them too much. I know that is somethig really easy to say for me, I am living in Innsbruck and I can go with the city bus to the slopes but not everyone is in the same position.

From my point of view, what should be avoid is the weekend trips, taking a plane on friday evening and other on sunday evening + the car to go to the resort I think is too much pollution for 1.5-2 days of skiing. I think peolple should consider to make less trips but longer to the Alps. To have more time for the trip would allow to make many trips by train instead of plane and many ski resorts in the Alps are train accessible. And for those who need to skiing 30 days per season I think they should consider to move to places closer to the Alps, is one of the advantages of EU you can live wherever you want, the environment will win, the cities adn valleys will be benefit because they will have more citizens and less tourists and the person itself also will benefit because he will change a stressfull and annoying trip for a nice 1-2h drive.

I hope this triggers a nice conversation and some people gets possitively influenced and we make the world a better place. And please avoid descalifications and insults to other opinions. Desagree and insult are not synonymous.
    bericht aangepast door elecas op 12 dec 2019 12:31
    www.elecas.es
  • meteomorris
    Expert
    meteomorris op 12 december 2019 · 12:53
    @elecas, good starting point. I am struggling with my carbon footprint now for a few years. Recently I discovered the book 'The hidden impact'. (https://thinkbigactnow.org/en/). It has its origins in a Dutch book and in Dutch and USresearch data but the statistics are pretty detailed and can help outline the discussion.

In discussions about skiing, wintersport and the carbon footprint we see a strong focus on transportation and the footprint involved. The hidden impact showed me that there a way more things to start thinking about. Do the test: http://impact.babetteporcelijn.com/en/#/ and let me know what you think. It clearly opened my mind.
    May the powder be with you.
  • ondras
    Advanced
    ondras op 12 december 2019 · 15:09
    Thank you for interesting topic. I also don´t like flying for weekends (and doesn´t matter if its for sightseeing, skiing, climbing, whatever). But I think the harmfulness of planes is maybe little overestimated. I found in other source that modern plane consumes aprox. 3l/100km/passenger (when it is full probably). Normal car consumes 6l/100 km. So I think it is the same to fly like to go by car in two (but if you drive in 4 it is twice better). But I also found that shorter flights are worse than long flights. In 2017 avarage CO2 footprint from european flights was 99 g/km (wikipedia) so similar like driving in 2.
    But I have to admit that when flying you don´t care about the distance much (because it takes almost the same time to fly 500 km like 1000 km) and that´s why footprint is usually bigger.
    I live in Prague, I go to Alps for weekends or 3-4 days quite often during the season. We usually go by van in 4-6 people, we never fly. I think footprint per person is not bad but anyway it is 350-600 km journey (one way) and that´s a lot. Better solution would be to move there.
  • Fuschetto
    Advanced
    Fuschetto op 13 december 2019 · 11:44
    Is there already a topic where you can collect information about the railway routes that are useful for skiing?
    Fusk
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 15 december 2019 · 20:44
    Is there already a topic where you can collect information about the railway routes that are useful for skiing? Fuschetto op 13 Dec 2019 11:44
    https://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html
  • Chester_Tartsnatcher
    Expert
    Chester_Tartsnatcher op 15 december 2019 · 20:50
    I had read somewhere that airplanes can be more efficient than a car if the car is carrying less than 3 passengers. By that I mean that the carbon foot print of air travel can be less than that of using a car with up to 2 passengers.

That claim depended on the length of the trip being longer than 1500km or so, since airplanes generate most of their carbon footprint on takeoff.

In any case, it's difficult to recognize our hypocrisy in skiing in terms of carbon footprint. At least in Europe, there is the option to take trains to get to many worthy destinations.

Reageer

Je hebt een account nodig om te kunnen reageren in dit topic. Login of registreer.

Upgrade naar wepowder Pro

• Uitgebreide 14 dagen verwachting
  • Hellingshoek- en expositielagen
  • Inspirerende freeride routes
wepowder Pro