Month in the Alps with family

• AdamStekl
    Advanced
    AdamStekl op 22 March 2017 · 11:18
    Hello all,
    i want to ask you for your opinion/advice.
    I am Czech skier who likes powder and skitouring. I am also a father of 2 kids (3,5 and 1 year old). My wife skis only on piste (...so far). I want take a month brake from work next winter and move with the whole family to the Alps.

I have two basic dilemmas:

1. where to go?
    My budget is not endless so options like Switzerland are ruled out pretty much. I will buy a season ticket so proximity to Czech (particularly Plzen) is an advantage, as I could ride in the resort the whole winter. And of course I want to pick some snow magnet place.
    So far I was considering Ski Amade, Kleinwalsertal and Montafon

2. when to go?
    I want to have solid base, some powder days but also some sunny days.
    I was thinking about two terms: mid February to mid March or the whole March

So what do you think powder friends?

Thanks,

Adam
  • AdamStekl
    Advanced
    AdamStekl op 5 April 2017 · 08:48
    @meteomorris, can I please ask you for advice regarding the term and location for the above mentioned topic

Thank you very much
    Adam
  • ieism
    Tourist
    ieism op 8 April 2017 · 20:55
    Hi Adam,

Not an easy question, as predicting snowfall for next year is impossible. I advice you to do some research now, but make the decision based on the amount of snow in januari if you can. A lot of snowbums go live in a camper van where the snow falls, but with a family this might not be as easy.

February / March is already quite late in the season, so Kleinwalsertal would probably not be the best option in my opinion. Those alpine foothill areas are more suited to early and mid winter, when they recieve more snow.
    Late winter mid- to high-apline would be a better bet. Look for a nice inner alpine region that preserves the snow but can still catch some freshies.

I'm not an expert on Austria myself, so I can't help you there. Montafon does get a lot of snow if it's a winter with lots of north west stau, but that's not always the case. It's not a terrible idea though, less crowded than st. Anton.
    Or you could live in Galtür, and buy the Snow Card Tirol. Galtür doesn't get as much snow as Montafon or St. Anton, but it's nice and cold there and a short trip to other places with the Snowcard it would be cheap. And for touring you have lots of options closeby including to Montafon, south of Ischgl or even Switzerland.

Anonther option is to find a place in Italy. If it's winter with lots of snow from the south you're golden. If not it's only a short drive away to the high alpine for touring, and the weather, food and people are really nice. I used to live at Lago Maggiore, it's a very nice climate and you can go touring on the Simplon anytime as there is always snow up there. Airolo/Andermatt and B**** G**** are not that far away either. It's just a nice place to live with a family, that's why I would recommend it. Bring a mountain bike too.

But anywhere near a tunnel or mountainpass that crosses the Alpine divide would work. This means you get to ride with snow from the south, or north and that's the key. Make sure you find out if the tunnel is cheap, or the mountain pass closes in winter though.
    splitfest.nl
  • AdamStekl
    Advanced
    AdamStekl op 10 April 2017 · 09:30
    Hello IEISM,

thanks for sharing your ideas. I want to book both skipass and acommodation in advance so waiting till the winter start is not an option. I will think about the Italy again, I love the food as well and I heart they like kids a lot.
    Thanks again.
    Adam

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro