Weather forecast changing rapidly

• Haansi
    Beginner
    Haansi op 16 March 2018 · 14:19
    Hi,
    Iive been chasing powder in the alps and in my home country Norway the last 5 years. I always check different forecasts, including wepowder, bergfex, snow-forecast and yr.no.

Typically ive been using wepowder to find a potential place to go, and then verified with yr.no as they tend to update more often by my experience.

But chasing powder this year has been harder for me than before. Typically the other seasons ive seenbig uncertainties 1 week before, and then when we are closing up (2-3-4 days before) you will see all of the different models align to a certain degree.

This does not seem to be the case that often anymore. Ive seen big changes until 1-2 days before, and its been much harder to plan. An example is this weekend. Wepowder, snow-forecast, bergfex and yr.no does not seem to agree at all where the snow is coming.

Does anyone know why this is happening alot this year? Any special weather phenomenons?

Thanks
    *message edited by Haansi op 16 Mar 2018 14:21 (1% bewerkt)
  • snowseeker
    snowseeker op 16 March 2018 · 16:53
    Couldnt agree more with this year being super tricky. Super variable by site...
  • meteomorris
    Expert
    meteomorris op 16 March 2018 · 21:40
    @Haansi, we’ve seen a lot of snow so far and hardly any long periods with sun and high pressure. There was no superdominant weather pattern so far this winter. Especially the lack of a strong consistent jetstream made it hard. This weekend is pretty complex again since there is not a strong jetstream that can direct the stormpath. Does this help?
    May the powder be with you.
  • Haansi
    Beginner
    Haansi op 16 March 2018 · 21:49
    @Haansi, we’ve seen a lot of snow so far and hardly any long periods with sun and high pressure. There was no superdominant weather pattern so far this winter. Especially the lack of a strong consistent jetstream made it hard. This weekend is pretty complex again since there is not a strong jetstream that can direct the stormpath. Does this help?meteomorris op 16 Mar 2018 21:40

Thanks, that expains some of what im seeing.

Im pretty new to this stuff and im constantly trying to learn, thats why im asking 😃
  • meteomorris
    Expert
    meteomorris op 17 March 2018 · 09:13
    @Haansi
    Thanks, that expains some of what im seeing.

Im pretty new to this stuff and im constantly trying to learn, thats why im asking 😃Haansi op 16 Mar 2018 21:49

@Haansi, no worries. You're welcome.
    May the powder be with you.

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro