plotting a holiday trip during the ....holidays....

• snowseeker
    snowseeker op 26 March 2018 · 12:56
    WePowder collective! I need your insights from the powder hounds in the EU. Trying to plan a 2 week trip SOMEWHERE in the alps for the family around Christmas...i know it will be busy and i know its not a guarantee (snow wise)
    If you were to plan a trip in the alps(location is wide open) with your family (and not chasing snow last minute), where would you go in December?
    I know it will probably be a zoo anywhere I go at least post Christmas week. I am looking for a large mountain with diverse and fun terrain, on and off piste knowing full well that December could be considered early days for a season (minus this current one). Trying to put myself in a good spot that would provide me the best possible outcome. We would be there from the 20th of December to the 1st of Jan. Finding historical snow data isnt the easiest thing and in some cases, really doesnt help too much. I know the simple facts of going somewhere high like Val Thorens or Tignes but not sure if those get me super excited.
    Was thinking of MAYBE Serre Che OR Verbier......again, both of which may be busy but have a good amount of terrain and if all goes to hell, there are things to do off the snow....Any help would be super appreciated....ANY ideas just throw them out and if anyone has gone during this time frame, would love to hear how hectic it was at the lifts....
    Thanks
  • caluchko
    caluchko op 26 March 2018 · 20:30
    How about La Clusaz. Very nice for families. Good Alpine charm. Not that high but if there is no snow you can always drive to Cham.
  • snowseeker
    snowseeker op 26 March 2018 · 21:32
    Never been to La Clusaz but have heard good things. Wondered about it and how crowded that place might be...
  • mmp3
    Advanced
    mmp3 op 26 March 2018 · 22:38
    I can only comment on French Alps
    the problem you have is relying on another exceptional season like this one if you don't go high at that time of season...and the chances of that are pretty slim.. but you never know. Was only 2 seasons ago they were shipping everyone from all other french resorts to Tignes as there was insufficient snow for the xmas hols... the snow never came until early new year.
    I took my family when they were kids to the high altitude resorts for the snow sure factor... and was never disappointed...
    I have been going to Val Di'Sere for first weeks of the season for the past 30 odd years... I arrive last weekend in November and I leave prior to the xmas crowds... and I've never been disappointed with snow conditions.. some years better than others, this year, was unbelievable! lol
    I got fed up with the big ques though and we basically spent 7 years skiing in St Foy (just down the road)when my kids were young..Depends if you want to live in the resort... My best advice would be to have a hired car, stay in Bourg St Maurice (http://www.cgh-residences.co.uk/winter/residences/le-coeur-dor-6...) you'll get property cheaper here.. and restaurants etc etc all far cheaper than in resorts... and within a 30 min radius (even has a Mickey Dee's to keep kids happy!! oh i do like a Mcflurry apres ski!! lol)you have so much skiing.. and some fantastic gems, like St Foy (really handy if it's bad visibility... head there for the trees) La Rosiere/La Thuille is fantastic too... all very family friendly, and only a short drive from Bourg to Les Ecudets chairlift (approx. 10 mins drive) very very picturesque! which will take you up to La Rosiere 1850 (saving driving up the mountain road) and it's a very fun run to ski back to car at end of day. Another wee drive up to Villaroger and enter the Les Arcs resorts from there... (alot quieter to enter from here & very picturesque!) Tignes De Brev is only 20-25mins drive away.. Infact, you have so much skiing on your doorstep..
    The New Year week is by far the more busier of that time... but I've always found the crowds disappear after Hogmany as they're all too drunk.. and the lifts become empty...
    You can get a regular ski bus from the apartments in Bourg to the Furnicular which zooms you up to Arc 1600, you could also walk from those apartments... but even better.. take the car!! massive car park. But again, I used to just use the car all the time, and if we fancied La Plagne, I'd drive up to montchavin and always got a free parking place right beside the lift... If that's still not enough skiing for you, a 30 min drive and you can jump in the olympic bubble in Brides Les Bains and that'll take you to centre of Meribel!!
    I've based myself in Bourg St maurice for years due to all of the above.. the choice of skiing terrain is unbelievable... I actually base myself here for road cycling in summer too... as again, the choice of cols etc is unbelievable...
    But, it's only for if you have a hired car...It's a must...I'm sure you could easily find some quiet lifts at that time of year out of all that... lol (I have, for years) My kids are all grown up now, but i still go to Bourg at least once a season, i'm actually going there on April 19th, but i am ski tourng... don't need lifts...
    I'm just back from a quick 3.5 days skiing close to Geneva Airport... and I stayed in Sallanches (Ibis budget Hotel) cheap as chips!! then you have another huge choice of resorts, all within 30 mins (max) drive. Megeve, Combloux, Cordon, Les Contamines, Les Houches, then.. you also have Espace Diamant.... but all these resorts need good snow as they are low, but you also have Chamonix (40 mins) drive... and with Sallanches only 50 mins drive from Geneva Airport... I usually get the first flight out of Edinburgh and I'm on the mountain by midday...and as per the above comment... La Clusaz is quite close too.. (Morzine is only 50 mins drive aswell) Morillion is close by... HUGE SKI AREAS!
    Ofcourse, you might not want to drive, so then I'd say.... stay high!

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro