Post Christmas Switzerland

  • mhn
    mhn op 19 December 2018 · 16:17
    Heading over from US to spend the holidays with family in Germany. Given a relatively short 3-4 hour train ride from our Black Forest location, the intent is to ski Central/Eastern Switzerland for several days (28.12-30.12). Given limited availability due to high demand and with an eye to snow reliability, accommodations were booked in Chur and Brig (can cancel either/both this weekend). Have always purposely avoided peak holiday periods in Europe and North America so this would be a first. Willing to compromise resort size and terrain. Current thinking is Arosa Lenzerheide if based in Chur and Aletsch/Loetschental/Belalp for Brig. Would appreciate any thoughts re peak holiday skiing, resort recommendations, upcoming mild weather, etc. Thanks in advance.
  • NicZH
    NicZH op 19 December 2018 · 16:44
    Hi mhn,
    I think Lenzerheide and Loetschental are good choice. They offer good freeride possibilities with easy access and not quickly tracked. Those are family resort. Same around Chur I could advise you Disentis too and around Brig Grimentz-Zinal too. Generally Switzerland is not that crowdy compared to Franca/Austria but Christmas might be the only exception in a smaller extent.
  • mhn
    mhn op 19 December 2018 · 23:19
    NicZH, thanks for the help. Will add Disentis and Grimentz/ZInal to our potential plan.
  • meteomorris
    meteomorris op 22 December 2018 · 15:29
    @mhn post Christmas is looking perfect. Loads of snow in the forecast for the 24th and sunny days afterwards.
    I would go for the no so usual suspects..

    * Tschiertschen (great tree runs)
    * Disentis (already mentioned bij @mhn)
    * touring at the Julier pass
    * Rinerhorn and Pischa (Davos)
    May the powder be with you.
  • Babs T
    Babs T op 22 December 2018 · 19:18
    @meteomorris. Thanks for the tips on the Dutch Wepowder. We're heading direction of Graubunden, I'll let you know how it looks there. The lift for Pischa doesn't seem to be open but there is more than a meter of snow already. Any idea why it would still be closed?
  • mhn
    mhn op 22 December 2018 · 20:32
    Thanks, mateomorris. Given the increasing snow line and fluctuating forecasts earlier this week, we cancelled Brig/Chur and are headed to higher elevation. Booked accommodations in Celerina for Corviglia, Corvatsch, and Diavolezza. Even today, snow reports for Loetschental and Lenzerheide indicate a significant portion of advanced runs closed. Now the focus shifts to finding the best terrain in the area and preparing for extensive lift lines. Open to suggestions.


You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

  • Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro