Alps Winter '12-'13

• KlasRydstrand
    Advanced
    KlasRydstrand op 14 March 2013 · 12:59
    Hi Morris! This Saturday March 16 we leave Stockholm for 1 week of powder skiing. We haven't booked anything yet so we are totally free to go anywhere. Where would you go? How do you best combine PA#24 and PA#25? Snow looks good in the alps but I'm a bit afraid of those warm temeratures. Please answer, I didn't get any reply last time... Should we even go north in Scandinavia or stick to the alps?
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 14 March 2013 · 20:30
    @KlasRydstrand You should definitely go to the Alps.
    Forecast is really good. I would make it a roadtrip if you are that flexibel.

I would start at the Southern French Alps. With the fresh snow coming in overthere treeruns will be great in resorts like Puy St. Vincent and Serre Chevalier on Sunday.

Monday will be great at the other side of the mountain. Take the mountain pass towards Montgenevre and follow the sigs to Sestriere. It's an hour drive and it looks like they get the freshies and colder temperatures on Monday. Great treeruns between Mt. Motta and Pragelato.

Tuesday you might head to the family resorts in the French Maurienne (about an hour drive from Sestriere) or go to la Grave (about an hour drive). It looks like the French Alps do get some extra snow on Wednesday.

More details tomorrow.

And sorry that I missed your earlier question.
    Enjoy the powder!!
    May the powder be with you.
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 15 March 2013 · 12:13 May the powder be with you.
  • KlasRydstrand
    Advanced
    KlasRydstrand op 16 March 2013 · 14:38
    [mention="/profile/8653"][mention=8653]@KlasRydstrand[/mention][/mention] More details: http://wepowder.com/weblog/4314/PA%2324%3B-fresh-snow-and-wind-%3D-ava... meteomorris op 15 Mar 2013 12:13 PM
    Wow, thank you so much Morris! We are now on our way to the airport and will touch down in Serre Chevalier tonight. First run tomorrow morning. Hopefully we can make stop over in La Grave mid week. Looks like 50 cm until Monday and then some more. Curious to see if anyone else will get even more..? Thanks again, you have probably saved our week!
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 17 March 2013 · 21:39
    @KlasRydstrand Enjoy! And remember.. pictures, or it didn't happen 😉
  • Bartel
    Beginner
    Bartel op 25 March 2013 · 21:01
    Hi Morris, we're heading to the Alps Wednesday eve/night.. Destination we were initially thinking of was Bardonecchia.. but seems to be warming up too much there now..
    What do you think; Alagna a better option? Or somewhere completely different? We are flex and after freshies..
    Possibly an update towards a new alert.. #27?
    Thanks and enjoy riding with SanderK these days!
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 25 March 2013 · 22:31
    @Bartel I will give you an update Wednesday morning where to go.
    Stay stoked
  • Bartel
    Beginner
    Bartel op 25 March 2013 · 23:04
    Koning! 😃
    Thanks Morris!
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 27 March 2013 · 09:01
    @Bartel
    Go west! See my new update. PA#27 is coming.
  • Bartel
    Beginner
    Bartel op 27 March 2013 · 11:11
    Thanks Morris! We're headed west! Puy St V. and around I think...
  • KlasRydstrand
    Advanced
    KlasRydstrand op 27 March 2013 · 15:20
    Thanks Morris! We're headed west! Puy St V. and around I think... Bartel op 27 Mar 2013 11:11 AM

I can really recommend Put Saint Vincent! Had an amazing day there last week, almost no freeriders and an entire mountain full of powder to explore.
  • Bartel
    Beginner
    Bartel op 28 March 2013 · 19:06
    @meteomorris
    You were right again... hip deep at Puy St V.!!
    THANKS!!
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 28 March 2013 · 19:40
    @Bartel Enjoy!!
  • Lolita
    Beginner
    Lolita op 30 March 2013 · 09:20
    Thanks for the advice Morris; Chamonix was epic yesterday, thigh to hip deep, raining today, looking forward to tomorrow when the temp drops again!! 😃) where then ???
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 30 March 2013 · 09:51
    @Lolita, with pleasure. Temperatures will drop this afternoon. Vallorcine may be great since they pick up more snow from the north west.
  • konrade
    Advanced
    konrade op 31 March 2013 · 16:05
    Hi Morris,
    do you have any infos about the next weekend in North Central Alps? I would rather like to hear that there would be sun and no snow falls as I'm planning this Arnspitze hike and ride and i'm looking for a stable snow conditions

cheers
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 31 March 2013 · 16:27
    @konrade Long term predictions aren't always that accurate. But so far it doesn't look like the unstable pattern with snow and wind will stop before april the 9th. I will keep you posted on this one.
  • konrade
    Advanced
    konrade op 31 March 2013 · 16:32
    thank you Morris, I will appreciate any help 😃
  • konrade
    Advanced
    konrade op 3 April 2013 · 21:48
    looks like it would be quite shitty weekend in the central Alps :/
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 4 April 2013 · 08:55
    @konrade Correct. The European and American weathermodel are optimistic about the weekend after. But that's a very long term forecast.
  • konrade
    Advanced
    konrade op 5 April 2013 · 08:34
    could you eventually say something more about the clouds level and generally weather in the scharnitz/mittenwald region? we are still thinking about this arnspitze on sunday, but i'm not so sure if that wouldn't be fog riding :/
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 5 April 2013 · 10:02
    @konrade best chances with visibility and sun are on Saturday. Sunday will see more clouds.
  • konrade
    Advanced
    konrade op 5 April 2013 · 12:57
    thank you Morris 😃
  • konrade
    Advanced
    konrade op 5 April 2013 · 17:56
    damn, can't decide....this won't be a good weekend for hiking, so now i'm thinking about one of the glaciers on sunday, but can't decide :/
  • jazzman
    Advanced
    jazzman op 9 April 2013 · 17:17
    Hi Morris,
    first of all, I would like to thank you for your advices and efforts to make us all happier 😉)
    I was thinking about going to Arolla this weekend. I know a local guide who told me that they were closing the 21st, not the 7th that is posted. From there I can move over to Thyon (not sure it is open, sometimes it is quite hard to find the closure of some resorts), maybe Chamonix... Any suggestions or relevant weather issues?
    As a suggestion, It would be nice if everybody spoke in english since german is impossible to understand for most of us...
    Thanks!!
    It´s snow or never!!
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 9 April 2013 · 17:45
    @jazzman Thank you, you're welcome.
    Regarding the weekend. I'm planning an update for tomorrow morning and will have a look at the charts this evening. Will keep you posted!
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 10 April 2013 · 08:29
    @jazzman Saturday will be great in Arolla. Sunday will be warm already so you have to go higher up en search for north faces. More details: http://wepowder.com/weblog/4390/Up-to-60-cm-of-freshies...
  • konrade
    Advanced
    konrade op 10 April 2013 · 20:34
    it looks like that even in Northern Alps Central we will have a good weekend 😃 any recomendations? 😉

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

• Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro