ask Morris... winter '13-'14


  • Luca
    Expert
    Luca op 9 January 2014 · 10:43
    @telemikey I don't know how she could reach gressoney from zermatt... maybe passing from cervinia then champoluc but i think it's pretty long.... Anyway the monte rosa tour is a pretty great trip! two days skiing in the glaciers!
    i'll attach the descpriton that polvere rosa gives about this route
    Luca - www.lucazattoni.com
  • telemikey
    Advanced
    telemikey op 9 January 2014 · 11:53
    Two days of high alpine ski touring sounds great! I really need to get my glacier skills back up to par again.
    White room,Pillow lines,I rule
  • telemikey
    Advanced
    telemikey op 9 January 2014 · 17:16
    You've made me doubt myself now though. Maybe she was in Alagna... Oh well. The tour sounds cool.
    White room,Pillow lines,I rule
  • Luca
    Expert
    Luca op 9 January 2014 · 17:29
    @telemikey yeah the tour is great!! and well maybe she was staying in Alagna! 😉
    Luca - www.lucazattoni.com
  • SvenPrzetak
    Advanced
    SvenPrzetak op 18 January 2014 · 15:05
    Hi Morris,
    next friday we will go to the caucasus mountains in georgia. Goderdzi Pass und Bakuriani will be our places. Can you give me a forecast for that region?
    Thanks & Cheers Sven
    Pray for Snow!
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 19 January 2014 · 16:59
    @SvenPrzetak It might be a bit warm tuesday-thursday. But long term runs are in favour of snow and cold air. But it is still a long term forecast.
    May the powder be with you.
  • SvenPrzetak
    Advanced
    SvenPrzetak op 23 January 2014 · 18:12
    Hi Morris, do you have an update for Bakuriani/Georgia. Our trip will start tomorrow morning.
    Thanks Sven
    Pray for Snow!
  • SvenPrzetak
    Advanced
    SvenPrzetak op 23 January 2014 · 18:12
    Hi Morris, do you have an update for Bakuriani/Georgia. Our trip will start tomorrow morning.
    Thanks Sven
    Pray for Snow!
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 23 January 2014 · 19:46
    @SvenPrzetak to warm! hopefully long term might change.
    May the powder be with you.
  • Arild
    Tourist
    Arild op 27 January 2014 · 15:03
    Hi Morris (or anyone else)

    We're flying to Geneve on Saturday 1.feb and need to find a place to go from there.
    Right now we're aiming for Ski Monterosa (Champoluc) since the forecast looks OK. Also we're considering going a bit more south, maybe down to Sestriere which also looks OK.
    But we're not sure yet. Need to book accommodation soon (there is 8 of us...)

    Any suggestions for us? Where would we find the best (and still safe) conditions?

    All the best
    Arild
    Arild
  • Niels
    Advanced
    Niels op 27 January 2014 · 15:39
    @Alrid the south seems like a good bet, but If you are really going for some pow, I should wait. At least till Thursday. It is far from peak season in the Alps, accommodation is easy to find. Also for groups of 8 people.
  • 49
    Advanced
    49 op 27 January 2014 · 19:01
    @Arild

    According to the forecasts Monte Rosa would be a safe bet. There could be other winners in the end, but Monte Rosa seems to get its fair share (up to 150+ cm predicted for wednesday-sunday). Furthermore, you can ski both trees and high mountain routes there. The base is excellent all around, even after the high winds during last weekend.

    If you consider Monte Rosa from Geneva, I would advise to drive a bit longer, to Gressoney, to be in the middle of it all and close to some magic woods and the lifts up to Indren.

    To be sure, @Niels & @meteomorris will have the latest forecasts for you by tomorrow morning?
    montagna bianca, ti amo
  • Arild
    Tourist
    Arild op 27 January 2014 · 20:36
    Thanks @Niels and @49
    I definitely wait for the forecasts for tomorrow.

    Happens everytime I try to organize something. Trying to be cool and wait until last minute , but get stessed about finding a good place to stay for the group....

    Seem like east Aosta might be better than west Aosta. 150cm sounds serious... We do not fall into the "hot-shit" category....

    Champ vs Gressoney
    Thought that Champoluc would be better since there are more options for places to stay + getting some nightlife also.. But I'll check the accommodation in Gressoney.
    Arild
  • 49
    Advanced
    49 op 27 January 2014 · 21:14
    @Arild

    don't know about night life in Gressoney, but it seems relative easy to find acco there these days. For skiing it is definitely a better choice IMHO. I am staying in Alagna for the season, hardly any night life and quite a bit too far from Geneva to consider. If you only want to ski mellow terrain, Champo might be a good place for your group.
    montagna bianca, ti amo
  • JAndersB
    Advanced
    JAndersB op 28 January 2014 · 11:06
    Hi eveyone,
    considering a long weekend by car from Sweden. Forecast is indicating south alps east so around Cortina seems to be best bet but I am also seeing above zero degrees and even rain (snow limit around 1400m) on both saturady and sunday. I would hate to have the pow destroyed and sitting in a wet village. Any thoughts?
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 28 January 2014 · 15:50 May the powder be with you.
  • Arild
    Tourist
    Arild op 28 January 2014 · 20:06
    Thanks @meteomorris .
    Difficult to decide for the next week startin Saturday. Seems Champoluc would definatly give us more snow than Sestriere. But the avalanche danger would be higher up north compared to going south.

    Ah, decision time soon...

    Any long term trend?
    Arild
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 28 January 2014 · 20:28
    @JAndersB @Arild

    How lang are you staying?
    cheers
    May the powder be with you.
  • Arild
    Tourist
    Arild op 28 January 2014 · 20:32
    Thanks @meteomorris

    We off for one week. 1.feb - 8.feb. We're driving from Geneva.
    Group of 8, we're not planning to move to another place during our stay (logistic / accommodation reason)

    We're on a "medium minus" level. Going for a guide to find the good and safe spots
    Arild
  • JAndersB
    Advanced
    JAndersB op 28 January 2014 · 21:54
    We would stay so that we could ski (snowboard that is) friday-monday but we will probably go to Norway instead. I am a little bit afraid of the warmth and humid weather during the weekend and how that will affect the quality of the snow, We will be splitboarding around Hemsedal instead.

    We will turn the mobile home towards the alps mid of week 7 instead.

    Anders
  • Arild
    Tourist
    Arild op 29 January 2014 · 09:39
    @meteomorris

    Will there be a new update today? Short weekend forecast and where to go hints?
    (I'm close to hitting the order accommodation button....)

    Keep up the good work!
    Arild
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 29 January 2014 · 09:43
    @Arild, working on it.
    May the powder be with you.
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 29 January 2014 · 11:23
    @Arild.. I would go for Monte Rosa. Looks like there is still enough available: http://bit.ly/1efFWRV
    May the powder be with you.
  • Arild
    Tourist
    Arild op 29 January 2014 · 11:55
    @meteomorris

    Thanks a lot.
    Seems like is going to be more snow in Monte Rosa, and it might be cold enough to still be try snow?

    How do you consider the avalanche risk in Monte Rosa compared to west Piemonte?
    Arild
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 29 January 2014 · 12:02
    @Arild, avy conditions will be the same. Stay in the woods the first days after and during the dump.
    May the powder be with you.
  • Arild
    Tourist
    Arild op 29 January 2014 · 17:59
    @meteomorris

    Thanks, we're now ready to go to Champoluc on Saturday 😃

    Amazing work you're doing with the forecasts, I'm learning a lot.
    Arild
  • vo90
    Tourist
    vo90 op 29 January 2014 · 18:01
    Do you have any indications on where to go next week? I am planning a trip to the alps at the moment and obviously want to make the right choice (powder is my only concern!). I have read your report for this weekend but I do not want to make my decision based on where to go this weekend (since I wont be there this weekend).

    Do you have any clues whatsoever what will happen next week? If not, do you have any general areas or tips that I can think of based on your knowledge?

    Thanks for you work with all these reports, they are really appreciated!
  • meteomorris
    Tourist
    meteomorris op 29 January 2014 · 19:28
    @vo90 when exactly did you plan to leave to the Alps? How long will you be staying?
    @Arild, thanks!
    @JAndersB Good choice, this weekend might be the last cold smoke powder weekend for Norway for a while.
    May the powder be with you.
  • vo90
    Tourist
    vo90 op 29 January 2014 · 21:12
    thanks for you reply, I was thinking about leaving this sunday or monday and staying one week after that, giving me maybe 6 days of skiing next week.
  • AndersBj
    Advanced
    AndersBj op 6 February 2014 · 00:14
    Hi!
    Finally departing for the alps this weekend. First skiday monday, and are looking at gressoney/alagna, or courmayeur. We are quite mobile, an french alps (la grave or about) is also on the list. Seems that Monterosa got the most of it the last weeks, and base layers are better here than in the french part? Forest on powderdays (preferentially so high tha we find dry snow) and bigger lines when the sun comes out. We will go for guided trips if neccesary. Know the gressoney/Alagna area from earlier trips. Other recommendations for the upcoming week?
    No friends on powderdays..

Reply

You need to be logged in to post a comment in this topic. Login or create an account.

Upgrade to wepowder Pro

  • Extended 14 day forecast
  • Slope angle and exposition terrain layers
  • Inspirational freeride routes
wePowder Pro