PA #18: snow from the northwest

PA #18: snow from the northwest

Check this out. That’s a while ago. It’s real. We’re dealing with a northern Föhn the next couple of days. That means snow in the northwestern and northern regions in the Alps. This is only the third PowderAlert this season that’s focussed on the north and northwest of the Alps.Friday-Sunday northern Föhn

This northstau won’t be around long, but hey, it’s great that it’s actually happening. The storm Waltraud is ready to rock and roll, but will leave the building to go south before you know it. Storm Xenia will turn the current back to the south again (what’s new this winter).Waltraud and Xenia

First the northwest

The northwestern Alps good use some pow. You can expect around 5-20 centimeters of freshies (locally even 20-45 centimeters). The most snow will fall in the northwestern stau and the northern stau regions. Below the amounts of snow the ECMWF is calculating. This map is kind of rough and I also expect freshies in the northern Swiss alpine ridge and around the Hohe Tauern.Northweststau

It’s snowing already in France, but it’s still sunny in the east of Switzerland and the north of Austria. I expect that it will start snowing around noon in the eastern parts of Switzerland and the northern regions in Austria. This snowfall will last till Saturday morning. Some snow will fall on Saturday afternoon, but in general the weekend will be pretty sunny with cold temperatures. The southern Alps will have to deal with a cold northern wind on Saturday and Sunday.It’s already snowing in Meribel

Powder advice till Sunday

Don’t expect really deep powder. Don’t expect too much and you’ll probably have a great day.

PowderAlert#19?

The Alps have to deal with a mild southern current till Wednesday. The northern Alps will experience a southern Föhn that will make it feel more like summer than winter. More snow is on its way from Wednesday and there probably will be a new PowderAlert.

We’re receiving a lot of videos from riders that are skiing or snowboarding in the backcountry without any safety gear. Please do not go out without beacon, shovel and probe and the knowledge to use it. Freeriding is beautiful sport, but it also comes with risk. You and yourself only are responsible for the choices you make. Please ride safe and with knowledge out there!

Stay stoked

Morris

meteomorris

Replies

Advanced
KlasRydstrandAuthor21 February 2014 · 11:33

@@meteomorris We just booked a new trip for the week March 2nd to 9th - again for the Monte Rosa valley (we will stay in Gressoney). It’s too far off yet to say anything I guess but I will keep bugging you this coming week if that’s ok :-) For what I’ve seen from the last 5 powder alarms, conditions should be really good in the Monte Rosa right now, right? Thanks!

Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!