Live PA #1: 247 centimeters of freshies

Live PA #1: 247 centimeters of freshies

Last Saturday I published the forecast and I thought that Andermatt would be one of the resorts that would really got hit by the snowfall, because of the wavy warm front and the incoming cold air. There was already some snow over there and it is already relatively cool. The cold air seemed to reach Andermatt on Wednesday and I expected the snow line to drop to 1000 meters. Now the dump from the west is behind us, it’s time to have a look at the results. And the Gotthard region, including Andermatt, has received a considerable amount of snow and next weekend (15-16 November) the lifts open there.Andermatt 6 November 2014

Andermatt village
Andermatt village
Sedrun
Sedrun

You can see on the snowmap of Switzerland that most of the snow came down in the Gotthard region, with one remark. The map below is showing the snow that came down the last three days at an altitude between 1000 and 2000 meters. Because of the high temperatures, the snow line was pretty high at first and most of the snow therefore came down above 2500 meters.Snowfall the last three days

But even then the Gotthard region is the winner. There was a whopping 247 centimeter of fresh snow, which led to a snow cover of 150 centimeters. Because of the settling, wind, mass of the snow cover itself and temperature, this incredible amount of fresh snow settled to 150 centimeters and that will continue the next couple of days.Snowfall in the Gotthard region

The rest of Switzerland also got their share of snow and updates from the Alps again today.

5/11 11.45 Traffic chaos in Tirol and Voralberg

The cold air has now reached the west of Austria. After the Föhn storm yesterday they had around 20-50 centimeters of freshies and the snow line locally dropped to 700 meters. The high temperatures that were expected this morning will probably cause wet spontaneous avalanches. Many trucks on the roads in the west of Austria are now stuck.Traffic jam 3.0

5/11 11.30 Switzerland is white

It’s white on pretty much of every webcam image. Switzerland got the most snow and the snow line was the lowest of the alpine countries.

meteomorris

Replies

Advanced
NidhuggAuthor6 November 2014 · 19:20

I am going on a business trip to Barcelona, and have a free day this weekend. It looked like it might fall some snow in the Pyrenees as well. The question is, is it a point to bring my skis and skins and go for a day of skiing in the mountains, instead of sitting at a cafe in Barcelona this weekend?

Expert
meteomorrisAuthor9 November 2014 · 12:05

@@Nidhugg, sorry that I didn’t respond earlier. We had this huge event this weekend and therefor I hadn’t the time to check your comment. Next time I will give you a personal advice. Sorry for the delay.

powfinder.com
Advanced
NidhuggAuthor9 November 2014 · 23:22

No problem meteomorris, your website is still the best for a powderaddict:) I checked out webcams and came to the conclusion that it wasn’t that much snow, so I decided to chose Cava in Barcelona.

Expert
meteomorrisAuthor10 November 2014 · 09:30

@@Nidhugg Cava is always a good choice ;)

powfinder.com
Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!