Powder Alert#14: Wednesday and Thursday are powder days in.....

Powder Alert#14: Wednesday and Thursday are powder days in.....

Below you will find my video forecast from last Friday. Sometimes such a prediction comes out better than expected. The rain for the Eastern Alps was disastrous and the warmth in the Western Alps felt like April.

Oh well, no powder, then just piste. There are worse things to do. Roy and Rens know how to get the best out of a perfect groomed slope and a Powfinder.

But fortunately we can almost switch to phase 2 of my prediction: the powder days for the Wednesday and Thursday. Active depressions are ready to head towards the Alps.

Pressure chart Tuesday
Pressure chart Tuesday

Tuesday: after lunch snow for the northwest

The first front, as I forecasted last Friday in my video forecast, will track into the Alps on Tuesday afternoon. With a west-northwest current the ‘heat wave’ in the Alps comes to an end. Around noon it starts snowing in the Jura, the French Northern Alps and western Switzerland. Snow line then rapidly dropping from 1800 to 1000 meters. Until Tuesday evening, around 10-20 cm of fresh snow will fall above 1500 meters.

Snow forecast Tuesday
Snow forecast Tuesday

Wednesday: cold and lots of snow for the extreme northwest

Wednesday continues where Tuesday ended. It gets a bit colder and the snow line drops to 600 meters. Above the tree line there there will be a storm force wind and snow showers can be alternated by hail. I expect the most snow by Wednesday in the north of the Savoie, the Haute Savoie, western Wallis and the far west of the Aosta. By the end of the afternoon, the treeruns are starting to get really nice and deep here. Avoid the slopes above the tree line because the wind here will cause many storm slabs (= avalanches).

Snow forecast Wednesday
Snow forecast Wednesday
Pressure chart Thursday
Pressure chart Thursday

Thursday: lots of snow for the entire northwest

We will start the day with an oclussion on Thursday. Then still cold and some snow for the extreme northwest. The warm front that follows during the day will raise the snow line, especially in the Pre Alps where it might go up to 1100-1400 meters. Nothing dramatic, but warmer snow on colder snow usually means that the avalanche danger will raise further. In the course of the evening a cold front follows and the snow falls expands to the rest of the northwest. Even the rest of Austria will get some.

I expect the best conditions for Thursday in the north of the Savoie, the Haute Savoie, the west of Wallis and the far west of the Aosta. Tree runs galore!

Snow forecast Thursday
Snow forecast Thursday
Pressure chart Friday
Pressure chart Friday

Friday: warm front touches northwest

On Friday, a warm front will track into the northwestern Alps, or better said: ‘touches the northwestern Pre Alps’. The snow line then rises quickly from 1000 to 1500 and who knows locally even 1900 meters. Inneralpine valleys will stay drier and colder. Although the Swiss Alpennordhang and Vorarlberg get a nice amount of snow between Thursday afternoon and Friday morning, the mild air of Friday can be annoying.

That is why I again expect the best conditions in the inneralpine valleys of the Savoie, the easternmost peaks of the [Haute Savoie](https://wepowder.com/nl / haute-savoie), the south and southwest of Wallis and the far west of the [Aosta] (https://wepowder.com/en/aosta ). Shred those tree runs!

Where to go?

From Wednesday to Friday you are best off in:

Search for those excellent treeruns and avoid the above treeline parts of the mountain. It might be a search since the snow cover below 2000 meters and certainly below 1500 meters is mostly below average, but those who know what to look for will certainly find it. Since it is peak season in the Alps I am not going to put all my cards on the table, but when you have been following me for the past 10 years you probably know where to go.

Weekend forecast

The weekend starts mild, with sun and wonderful conditions in the northwest, but during the Saturday a new storm will track into the Alps so that Sunday will be a powder day. The long term also looks prommising with enough snow in the forecast so to organize some powderchases.

A new update later this week. If you have any questions, ask them here or via my insta or facebook pages.

Your Powfinder, Morris

meteomorris

Replies

Expert
meteomorrisAuthor24 February 2020 · 23:25

May the powder be with you…

powfinder.com
Beginner
KarlisAuthor26 February 2020 · 08:09

Its a high posibility there will be much less people on the slopes (and in offpiste) in Italt becauce of panic of Coronavirus. Enjoy the pow!

Sending it :)
Beginner
TrabateoAuthor26 February 2020 · 11:29

I wanted to warn all freeriders and people with sufficient intelligence that the Corona virus has created an unjustified mass psychosis here (in Italy, obviously). From tomorrow and until saturday I will be in the VDA to hunt powder hoping to find less competition ?
If you see a boarder with a Korua Dart, say hi: I’m not contagious! ?

One step at a time, one breath at a time. So if you don't survive the bullet closest to your forehea
Tourist
thibaultcourtellemonAuthor26 February 2020 · 13:44

Hi Morris , thanks for the forecast,
Do you think the strong wind expected on thursday in Wallis and Haute Savoie could break all the fun?
Some resorts might even be closed. gust with 100Km.h expected at 2000m
Do you have any suggestion for a resort less affected?
Thank you for your help.

Tourist
toonbroekmansAuthor26 February 2020 · 16:47

Looking for people to freeride in St. Anton am Arlberg ski area. DM me if you are in.

Tourist
toonbroekmansAuthor26 February 2020 · 16:47

Looking for people to freeride in St. Anton am Arlberg ski area. DM me if you are in.

Tourist
opisskaproAuthor26 February 2020 · 18:01

Its a high posibility there will be much less people on the slopes (and in offpiste) in Italt becauce of panic of Coronavirus. Enjoy the pow!

Karlis op 26 Feb 2020 08:09

The main problem is that you literally don’t know the day on hour when more quarantine will be declared and if I were to travel from Poland I may risk quarantine upon return or even issues getting back as I am Czech and my intermittent residence in Poland is not really legally established. Even if the virus doesn’t pose much of a risk yet in the Alps, the reactions of the society surely do.

Advanced
LowGlowproAuthor26 February 2020 · 19:30

I’m currently in Livigno. So far business as usual. Only all bars and discos are closed so it’s kind of dead at night . During the day plenty of people on piste and if there would be conditions for offpiste, they would be there too. There was a small dump this morning and afternoon. But so far only 10cm. Hoping we will get a bit more overnight.

LowG
Tourist
GcAuthor26 February 2020 · 22:00

Staying in Courmayeur this week but today it was all Closed because of the wind. Pila just by Aosta was a Good alternative with very little wind and som Nice powder

Advanced
magicpeachAuthor27 February 2020 · 14:28

it’s snowing in Zurich, first time this season

you are progressing on something, that's all about
Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!