Live: sunshine and fresh snow in the Alps

Live: sunshine and fresh snow in the Alps

Knock knock… Who’s there? Sunshine and fresh snow! Just before the start of the meteorological winter (September 1st), King Winter shows a sign of life. Check out the live blog from yesterday. Of course, too early, and those who look closely at the images below immediately see that this white cover does not last long. +13 degrees celcius in the morning and blue skies. Most of the snow will be gone in two days. But nevertheless it’s a signal that the changing of the seasons is coming. Doesn’t that feel good?

Grossglockner strasse
Grossglockner strasse
Grossglockner strasse (already +13 degrees)
Grossglockner strasse (already +13 degrees)
Kitzsteinhorn Kaprun
Kitzsteinhorn Kaprun
Region Kitzsteinhorn
Region Kitzsteinhorn
Mölltaler gletscher
Mölltaler gletscher
Dachstein gletscher
Dachstein gletscher

Personally, I can really enjoy this image. From the top of the Dachstein Glacier you have a good view of the Austrian main alpine ridge. The north faces turned white from Saturday to Sunday. Now that’s a view!

The view on a white main alpine ridge
The view on a white main alpine ridge

The most snow came down (as expected) in Austria and the bordering Italian regions.

Forecast next couple of days

With rising high pressure the supply of cold air is stopped and fronts are set at a distance. It is possible that (Thursday/Friday) there will be some cooler air moving south again at the end of this week, but this seems to be less intense in terms of drop in temperature. For now, we can go back in our summer sleep.

meteomorris

Replies

Advanced
MuehlbachAuthor30 August 2018 · 13:26

Beauty! And @@MeteoMorris, makes me think that it’s been twenty years now that I’ve been experiencing the same stoke in the pre-season… as the Austrians say: “Vorfreude ist die schoenste Freude”. And it never wears off…

"Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads." - - - "There is no skiing without apres-ski. Fai
Never miss a PowderAlert!

Get updates on the latest news, PowderAlerts and more!